You are here

Ph.D Fourth-Quarter Research Paper

By the beginning of the fourth quarter in residence, Ph.D. students who entered the program with a bachelor's degree, as of fall 2009 and thereafter, are required to submit a research paper to their faculty adviser, and a "PhD Degree Program: Fourth-Quarter Research Paper" form (available from the department office) to the department office. The paper should be of publishable journal article length (approx. 5,000-10,000 words)  The student will revise the paper under the supervision of the faculty adviser, and it will be evaluated at the end of the fourth quarter by the adviser and an additional member of the PhD faculty to be selected by the student and adviser. If those two faculty members are not in agreement regarding their assessment of the paper, the adviser and student will select a third member of the PhD faculty to evaluate the paper. If the faculty adviser and other evaluator(s) find the paper to be unsatisfactory, the student will not be allowed to continue in the PhD program, but may apply for a terminal MA in Music degree.