You are here

Miscellaneous Information

Miscellaneous information

Academic Progress
Billing and account information
Copy cards
Disability Resource Center
Division of Graduate Studies
Electronic Music Studios
Employment after graduation
Filing Fee
Financial aid
Grading policy
Graduate Commencement
Graduate Student Association
Graduate Student Commons
Graduate Student Representative
Health insurance
In absentia status
"Incomplete" grade
Leave of absence
McHenry Library
Part-time status
Payroll Deduction/Fee Deferment (PDFD)
Performing and tutoring opportunities
Practice rooms
Residency requirements.


Academic Progress. A graduate student is in good standing when he/she is enrolled in at least 10 upper-division or graduate-level units per quarter (or officially enrolled part-time) and passes at least 25 of those units per year, or when the department assesses that the student's progress toward the degree is satisfactory. Students who are neither registered nor on an approved leave of absence are not in good standing. Students whose academic progress is deemed unsatisfactory may be placed on academic probation (for a maximum of one academic year) by the Music Department, until the Graduate Studies Dean has received written notification of satisfactory progress from the Music Graduate Committee Chair. More information is available from the Graduate Student Handbook at


Advisers. Each incoming graduate student is assigned a general curricular adviser who should be consulted at the beginning of the first quarter of enrollment to devise a course plan for completion of the degree, and throughout the course of study to revise the course plan as needed. If you select another ladder faculty member as your thesis adviser (under whose supervision you enroll in Music 299), that faculty member will thereafter be considered your general adviser; the student should notify both the original adviser and the department office of the change.

Billing and account information. Please contact Student Business Services (203 Hahn Student Services), or (831) 459-2107, if you have questions about your campus charges and account.

Childcare. Information about childcare available on campus is available at or (831) 459-2967.

Computing. Each graduate student is assigned a personal computer account upon entry to the program (incoming graduate students who were undergraduates at UCSC the previous year will retain their e-mail account). Students should check their e-mail regularly for important messages from Graduate Studies, the department, and other campus units. Instructions for accessing your account are available through your MyUCSC account at

Copy cards. Copy cards made available to TAs by the department office or faculty members are to be used only for copying class materials. For personal copying, individual cards may be obtained from the Copier Program; information is available at


Disability Resource Center. Information on disability-based accommodation needs is available from the Disability Resource Center, or (831) 459-2089.


Division of Graduate Studies. Graduate Studies (283 Kerr Hall) ( can provide general information about graduate study at UCSC. General information: (831) 459-4108. Admissions: (831) 459-5905


Electronic Music Studios. The electronic music facility is housed in three composition studios and one recording studio, along with a large classroom that is acoustically optimized for teaching audio. The recording control room is a 16-track all digital system, and looks out onto the large classroom for studio space. Each composition studio and the classroom are provided with a permanent core of analog and digital recording gear, along with appropriate processing, mixdown, and monitoring equipment. Synthesizers ranging from classic modular analog to the newest MIDI instruments are distributed according to the requirements of each class. All equipment is installed for convenient and efficient use and is handicapped accessible. An on-the-premises technician maintains and calibrates equipment, and obsolete or worn out gear is replaced promptly. Compositional computer systems are Macintosh, running late releases of the best available software for sequencing, digital audio editing, or sound synthesis. SMPTE synchronization is available for work on video soundtracks or automated mixdown of multi-track recordings. Compositional computer systems are Macintosh, running late releases of the best available software for sequencing, digital audio editing, or sound synthesis. SMPTE synchronization is available for work on video soundtracks or automated mixdown of multi-track recordings.


Employment after graduation. The Northern California Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) web site job postings for faculty, staff, administrative, and executive positions at the University of California, California State University, community colleges, and private and professional colleges and universities.  


Filing Fee. If you were registered or on an approved leave of absence in the prior quarter (e.g. spring), and completed all requirements except submission of the thesis or dissertation, you may pay a Filing Fee (one half of the quarterly Registration Fee) to submit it in the following quarter (e.g. fall). (Note: If you were registered in spring, you may submit the thesis or dissertation in summer without paying a filing fee.) To use the Filing Fee, you must submit an "Application for Filing Fee Status" (available at and a check to Graduate Studies by the deadline listed on the Academic and Administrative Calendar (see p. 16 or During the quarter you use the filing fee, you may not be a TA or GSR, receive financial aid, or use university facilities. If you use the filing fee but do not complete the dissertation due to debilitating illness of yourself or your thesis adviser, you may apply to the Dean of Graduate Studies for a second use of the filing fee, explaining why the degree was not completed during the use of the first filing fee; if approved, the filing fee may be used again.


Financial aid. Information on financial aid such as grants and loans is available from the Office of Financial Aid, 205 Hahn Student Services,


Grading policy. Graduate students receive grades of Satisfactory (S), Unsatisfactory (U), or Incomplete (I), unless they request the letter grade option (A, B, C, D, and F). In order to receive a letter grade, the student must enter the letter grade request for each course in MyUCSC ( no later than the 15th day of instruction each quarter. Courses that may not be taken for a letter grade are listed in the quarterly Schedule of Classes. The grades of A or B shall be awarded for satisfactory work. Grades of C or D will not satisfy any course requirement for a graduate degree at UCSC. All grade notations, including C, D, F, or Unsatisfactory will be listed on the permanent record. Graduate students are not eligible to petition for Credit by Examination, Credit by Petition, or to receive a “no record” notation. 


Graduate Commencement. To qualify for participation in graduate commencement exercises, master’s and doctoral degree candidates must meet all degree requirements, including submission of the completed thesis or dissertation, by the deadline listed in the Academic and Administrative Calendar (see p. 16 or Exceptions will be made to allow participation in spring commencement exercises only if the student's graduate adviser in consultation with other committee members and the faculty graduate representative certify with reasonable certainty that all requirements will be completed by June 30.


Graduate Student Association ( All graduate students are members of GSA, an organization representing the collective interests of graduate students to faculty, administration, and staff. The GSA Council is comprised of members from each graduate department on campus; please see the website if you are interested in serving as a representative from the Music Department.


Graduate Student Commons. The Graduate Student Commons, across from the Bay Tree Bookstore, provides space for meetings, checking email, dining, and socializing. Rooms may also be reserved for special events. Information is available at and from Building Manager Rachel Neumann,


Graduate Student Representative. A graduate student representative is solicited each fall quarter to attend meetings of both the Music Graduate Committee and of full-time faculty (usually a total of 2-3 meetings per quarter), to relay concerns and comments of graduate students regarding the curriculum and administration of the music program. The e-mail address of the representative may also be given to prospective graduate students who want information about the program.


Health insurance ( Full-time graduate students are covered by the mandatory Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP), for which fees are included in registration fees. A TA or GSR with an quarterly appointment of at least 10 hours per week will have the Health Insurance Fee paid in full for that quarter. Further information concerning health insurance is available from the Student Health Center at 459-2389.


Housing. For information on on-campus and off-campus housing for enrolled students, contact Housing Services, 245 Hahn Student Services Building,


"Incomplete" grade. A grade of "Incomplete" may be assigned for work that is of passing quality but is incomplete, if prior arrangements have been made with the instructor. The instructor should be consulted as soon as you realize that you will not be able to finish the course work, in order to prevent a grade of "U" or “F” for the course. An "Incomplete" that is not removed by the end of the 3rd quarter following that in which it was received will become a permanent "U" or “F” on your transcript. Please see the Academic and Administrative Calendar on p. 16 or at for quarterly deadlines; in summer the "I" must be removed by the deadline for completing all requirements for the degree. In order to meet the deadline, please allow enough time to: 1) obtain the form from the Registrar and pay a $10 fee to the Cashier’s Office (102 Hahn Student Services, 459-2278); 2) submit the completed work to the instructor and obtain the signature of the instructor on the petition; and 3) submit the petition to the Music Department Office by the deadline. If you will not be able to clear the "Incomplete" by the end of the third quarter due to extenuating circumstances such as illness or family responsibilities, you may request a one-quarter extension by asking the instructor to e-mail approval to the department office; with approval of the department chair, the request for extension will then be forwarded to Graduate Studies for approval. (Veterans please note: an "Incomplete" not changed to a "Pass" will not be eligible for VA payments; adjustments will be made for overpayment.)


The department policy for allocation of fellowship support requires that students enroll in and complete required courses in a timely manner, and that a grade of ‘Incomplete’ in any core course (200, 201, 202, 253, or 254) must be removed no later than the end of May in order to be eligible for a fellowship for the following academic year.


Instruments. Historic keyboard instruments include a fortepiano, a Baroque chest organ, three double harpsichords, a virginal, and a clavichord. Steinways, a Bösendorfer, a Yamaha Disklavier and other modern concert grand pianos are available. The program maintains a large collection of percussion instruments and various string, wind, and brass instruments. The collection of Indonesian instruments includes an heirloom double gamelan ensemble; a Sundanese gamelan slendro and gamelan degung; and a complete Balinese gamelan angklung, Also available for the study of non-Western musics are collections of Latin American and Korean instruments.


Leave of absence. A student in good academic standing may request a leave by submitting a "Request for Leave of Absence" (available at to Graduate Studies no later than the last day of the quarter prior to the first quarter of leave. The student's adviser and the department chair must sign the form. The maximum for an approved leave of absence is 3 academic quarters; a request to extend a leave must be approved by the department. Leaves of absence are granted for educational purposes, health reasons, financial problems, and family responsibilities. A student on leave is not eligible for teaching assistantships, graduate student researchships, or fellowships. For more information, please see the Graduate Studies Graduate Student Handbook at


Lockers. A limited number of lockers are available without charge to students enrolled in music lessons and ensembles. Qualified students will be assigned one locker of appropriate size for their primary instrument. Students supply their own locks. Unless indicated otherwise, sign-ups are for the academic year. Contact Susan Gautieri in Music Center 127 to sign up for lockers.


Mail. Graduate students are assigned a mailbox in Music Center 248 for university and academic business only; personal mail (bank or credit card statements, magazines, etc.) should not be sent to this address.


McHenry Library. The University Library consists of two facilities: the main or McHenry Library, which provides centralized support for instruction and research in the humanities, arts, and social sciences, and the Science Library. Access to the UC Berkeley campus libraries and Interlibrary Loan services expand UCSC’s information base to the UC system and Stanford libraries. Information on music holdings is available at Particular strengths of the music collection housed in McHenry Library are sound recordings of Baroque music, harpsichord performances, and the works of J. S. Bach (McGraw Collection), as well as rare Indonesian recordings and teaching materials documenting West Javanese, Madurese, and Balinese traditions.


Part-time status. Graduate students may apply for part-time status by submitting an "Application for Part-time Status" to Graduate Studies by the deadline listed in the Academic and Administrative Calendar (see p. 16 or Part-time students may enroll in 5-8 credits per quarter and are limited to a TAship of no more than 10 hours per week. Part-time students are charged the full Registration Fee plus half of the Educational Fee. Part-time students with a TAship of 10 hours per week receive half of the TA fee reduction. Part-time students are not covered by the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, but information about purchasing coverage is available through the Student Health Center, Part-time students have access to the Student Health Center, as do all enrolled students.


Payroll Deduction/Fee Deferment (PDFD). TAs/GSRs may have fees automatically deducted from paychecks by obtaining a PDFD form from Graduate Studies and submitting it by the registration deadline. (See the Graduate Studies Graduate Student Handbook at for details.)


Performing and tutoring opportunities. To respond to requests from campus and community, the Music Department Office maintains a database of performers and music instructors. If you wish to be on file, please provide the department office with your name, phone number and/or e-mail address, and brief description of the service you provide.


Practice rooms are located in the Music Center. Signup sheets are posted Monday mornings outside each practice room; students may sign up for a maximum of two hours per day. Special rooms are available for advanced pianists, drummers, percussionists, double bass players and harpsichordists enrolled in the appropriate course. Practice room schedules may be superseded by need of the room for instructional use. Several music classrooms are available for approved ensemble rehearsals as class schedules permit. Department space for recreational activities is not available. For more information, contact Susan Gautieri, Facilities Manager (831-459-5475, 


Residency requirements. Students from out of state who establish residency in California pay in-state fees rather than out-of-state tuition, a substantial reduction in cost.  A student over age 18 may establish residence for tuition purposes if he/she is a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or other non-citizen who is not precluded from establishing a residence in the United States; and he/she meets the criteria described at Additional information is available from the Office of the Registrar