Winter 2020 APPLICATION . https://forms.gle/nwNKPGKjNY487YBE9*
*You must be logged into your UCSC email through Gmail in order to access the form. Go to the regular Gmail log-in. Enter your full UCSC email address (email@example.com) in the user name field, then enter your Blue password. From there, you can click on the link and have access.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 6, 2019.
The electronic music minor focuses on the study of creating music with the tools of modern technology. It is designed to complement the music major or programs in other media by providing instruction in advanced skills of audio production, sound synthesis, composition, and computer-assisted composition. For more information about the Electronic Music Program, please see: http://arts.ucsc.edu/ems/
APPLICATION TO THE ELECTRONIC MINOR PROGRAM:
- Application and acceptance to the electronic minor program is required to enroll in studio courses: Music 123, 124, 125, 167.
- Online enrollment is not open to students who have not applied and been accepted to the electronic minor program by taking the steps below.
- Students wishing to apply must complete prerequisites of Music 80C -History of Electronic Music (offered only in Fall) and it is strongly recommended to complete Music 14 - Beginning Theory and Musicianship II (offered most quarters - check Schedule of Classes).
- Application period opens in late-October/early-November and closes on the last day of classes in Fall Quarter. See above and below for online application link).
- Applications will be reviewed during the Winter break and 25 students will be accepted to the program each year. Students will be notified via email on their acceptance and given a permission code to enroll online in MUSC 123 for Winter.
- Applications are prioritized by student qualification, and a combination of seniority and quarters left in residency to complete the program. Applicants that are not accepted can re-apply the following Fall.
The required courses needed for the Minor are:
1. Music 11 (may be satisfied by any of the courses in the Music 11 series, or MUSC 80P)
2. Music 14 (may be satisfied by placing into Music 30A through the Music Core Curriculum Placement Examination, offered every Fall during Welcome Week)
3. Music 80C,
4. Music 123, 124, 125,
5. Music 167 (Two quarters required)
6. Music 80L or 80R - or a similar music course with a technical focus as approved by the department; or Film 171A - Special Topics Workshop - Sound or Theater Arts 114 - Design Studio: Sound.
6. An introductory computer programming course such as Computer Scienc 5C- Intro to Programming in C, 5J-Intro to Programming in Java, or 5P- Intro to Programming in Phython; or Electrical Engineering 70 - Intro to Electronic Circuits, 153- Digital Signal Processing, or 171 Analog Electronics
Note: This minor can be taken in conjunction with the music major. However, the upper-division courses you apply to the requirements of your minor cannot usually be applied to your major.