The goal of the Western Art Music Minor is to provide a focus for musicmaking activities, by way of establishing a strong background in music theory, history, and performance.
1. Choose one of the following courses:
- Music 11A: Classical Music from the Middle Ages to the Present, OR
- Music 11D Introduction to World Musics
2. Music 30A, 30B and 30C: Theory, Literature, and Musicianship (and associated Ear Training, Musicianship, and Keyboard labs)
3. Six quarters of upper-division performing ensembles.
4. Six quarters of Instrumental/Voice Lessons. (6 Lower Division credits, plus 9 Upper Division credits).
- 3 Quarters of Music 61: Half-Hour Lessons (Fee: $350), Music 62: Hour Lessons (Fee: $650), or Music 63: Group Lessons (Fee: $100),
- 3 Quarters of Music 161A: Half-Hour Lessons (Fee: $350), Music 161: Hour Lessons (Fee: $650), or Music 161B: Group Lessons (Fee: $100)
5. One of the following courses:
- Music 101A, 101B, or 101C: History of Western Art Music, OR
- Music 180A, Music 180B, or Music 180C: Studies in World Musics
- Please note: Some courses are offered during Summer Session, and can count towards your minor. Check the Summer Session schedule of classes for more info!